Tuesday, June 30, 2009


More decisions. Planted the raised bed by the conservatory with the Alstroemeria from the other house, plus Phoenix Fire Daylily - which looks to be at death's door - and a Rosemary. Also put Camellia Edithae by the side of the garage and planted the Sky Pencil on that side. In front of the electric panels I planted 2 Osmanthus (Fudingzhu and Aurantiacus).

Sunday, June 28, 2009


Steve went to church with the travellers. We made the raised bed around the conservatory and moved some pots around to try and decide where things should go.

Saturday, June 27, 2009


We made a rock garden for future Sedums using the quartz we have found in the garden and the green rocks and pebbles I bought before we moved.


A Saturday so I got three big holes dug in the front for the Fosters Holly, Kaizuka and Little Gem. Planted a row of 3 Knockout Roses at the same time.
Then in the back I finished off the helipad with Endless Summer, 2 Elephant Ears, Acanthopanax and 2 Cordyline.
Tier 2 got a hole for a Variegated Cleyera, and I planted the Mine No Yuki Camellia, Shisihi, Vitex Trifolia and Kumson Forsythia.

Friday, June 26, 2009


Today was a good day - felt like I got a lot done - planted the Indian Hawthorns around the pool - had an inspiration and I'm going to put Red Leaf Cannas behind. Also put in the Dwarf Bald Cypress, Variegated Boxwood, Alberta Spruce and Midnight Hydrangea. They will look good with the Purple Leaf Cordylines and the Acanthopanax.

In the cutouts in the Bermuda lawn I'm going to do 3 purple Loropetalums with light green in front and then 3 Gardenias with Barberry in front. Maybe some green loropetalums in between. (Modified to green Loropetalums at the ends and water-loving plants in between. Barberry may become Purple Pixie Loropetalum.)

Thursday, June 25, 2009


Planted the rest of the Soft Touch Hollies along the pool and the remaining three Burfords outside the pool fence.

Wednesday, June 24, 2009


Planted a few of the Soft Touch Hollies and four Dwarf Burfords around the pool - first swim in the pool was a major event.

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Mulch and Herbicide

No planting - had a coffee with Ruth instead! Did lots of pinestraw and roundup in the front.

Monday, June 22, 2009


Planted the rest of the front of the house with 2 remaining Loropetalums (Plum Delight) and 3 Dwarf Burfords. Added 8 Junipers.

Sunday, June 21, 2009


Around the turret and the front of the house - 4 Daisy Gardenias, 3 Carissa Hollies, 4 Helleri, 5 Nandina, 3 Dwarf Gardenias, 3 Variegated Dwarf Gardenias, 8 Liriope.

Saturday, June 20, 2009


In the morning we did the front island with 3 Purple Diamond Loropetalums, 13 Dwarf Gardenias, 5 Liriope.
In the evening we planted sod - all around the edges and at the front to help prevent erosion.

Friday, June 19, 2009


We got a croquet lawn and prep work for the rear by the golf course, plus the front lawn got put back in place. Also the pool edges of lawn were completed.

In the morning I went to the McCorkles sale and bought 80 more plants.
In the afternoon I installed the sod in the courtyard.
Steve and I got the front beds before the gate posts done in the evening:
5 Helleri Holly on each side (lost three on the mail box side)
3 Schillings Yaupon on one side and 5 on the other
2 Dwarf Burford Hollys on one side and 4 on the other
1 Hakuro Willow.

Thursday, June 18, 2009


No planting today. Torrential rain last night washed half the front lawn down the hill and made everywhere else too wet to work. It didn't help that the gutters were up but the downspouts not connected, so the water all concentrated in several places.

Wednesday, June 17, 2009


No planting by me but the front lawn sod went in and I did lots of planning. Plus the fence work got started.

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Planting (and some Hardscape)

Planted the Cassia (to stave off imminent death), Sky pPencil 1 and the first Loropetalum Plum Delight bright and early. Dug a couple more holes before I was feeling it too much. Then in the evening we finished the raised bed in the courtyard and planted that.

Monday, June 15, 2009


At the beginning of the day we had a raised bed in the courtyard that was almost ready to plant and various parts laid out. Things got a bit messed up when the contractors had to dig trenches for the gutter drainage pipe.
By the end of the day the raised bed was planted - but you can't see the plants so well because I had to move a lot of plants from the other side in order to get the raised bed set over there.
Japanese Maple Atropurpurea got a home, as did the Dwarf River Birch - the only reason that they were the first was that they had suffered so badly in the pots and the sun that they were doubtful for survival.

Sunday, June 14, 2009


Raised bed completed for the garage wall in the courtyard.